Daily Cholesterol Intake

adsense-fallback

GoodHealthGuide.org –  Uncontrolled daily cholesterol intake can lead to high levels of cholesterol which is a condition that affects millions of people in the world. They are the ones most troubled by their daily diet. This is because they are expected to be careful and choose foods that do not have the potential to increase levels of cholesterol in their blood.

 

Whether You Should Limit Your Daily Cholesterol Intake

A long time ago, a lot of international diet guides recommends limiting daily consumption of cholesterol to a maximum of 300 milligrams (mg). However, since 2015, that recommendation is no longer valid. Research findings show that high cholesterol levels are not necessarily caused by the consumption of foods with an excess content of cholesterol.

adsense-fallback

The reason why the limit of the amount of cholesterol in the diet is no longer valid is that the percentage of cholesterol in the blood that is acquired from food turns out to be really small. Numerous research shows that the cholesterol we consume does not significantly affect the amount of cholesterol in the blood.

Read also :   Low Cholesterol Diet Plan

Cholesterol diet is considered as important mainly to people who already have high cholesterol levels. By minimizing the consumption of food that is rich in cholesterol, there is a chance that their high levels of cholesterol will decrease, even though the decrease is only about 10 to 20 percent. Low cholesterol diet is also no longer considered as important because it can cause the increase in cholesterol production in the liver, making it ineffective in maintaining cholesterol levels in the blood.

The bottom line is that without having to desperately maintain our dietary intake, the body has a mechanism to balance cholesterol levels to stay normal. If we consume food that contains a lot of cholesterol, the liver will automatically produce less cholesterol, and vice versa. The cholesterol level in our body is 80 percent produced in the liver, and only the remaining 20 percent is influenced by our diet.

Read also :   Symptoms Of High Cholesterol

 

Avoiding Saturated Fats To Maintain Cholesterol Levels

Nonetheless, it does not mean that we can eat foods with high levels of cholesterol as much as we want without any rules. Consuming food that contains cholesterol is allowed and even recommended but in considerable amounts. This is because our body needs cholesterol in order to produce hormones, vitamin D, bile acid, and help digestion. It is important to be reminded that in foods that are high in cholesterol, such as fatty meats or milk, what we are avoiding is not the cholesterol but its saturated fat content. The Food and Drug Administration recommends that the consumption of saturated fat should be less than 10 percent of the daily calories needed.

Consuming saturated fat can increase the levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or also known as the “bad” cholesterol. LDL can cause the accumulation of plaque that clogs arteries and increases the risk for heart attacks and stroke. For a better source of daily cholesterol intake, we can choose the better kind of fat sources such as olive oil, nuts, and fish.

adsense-fallback